There was too much going on at SXSW for me to catch everything – I’m catching up on panels I didn’t see and Peter Shankman had a great talk on self-promotion and how to do it right. Honestly this stuff is very common sense but if you’ve been on twitter or facebook for more than a day you know that most people still don’t get it. Here are my notes from his talk.
Self-Promotion to save the world
— by Peter Shankman @petershankman
– Get other people to WANT to do your promotion for you
– not saying how great you are, but having others want to say how great you are
– when self-promotion is done right – it’s helping
– being “that guy” – the person you call when you know you’re in the shit and they’ll get you out of it, they’ve done it before without having to ask.
– Transparency: obama won off being more transparent, works for you too
– Relevancy: is what you’re saying / promoting relevant to your audience?
– 2.7 seconds is attention span now – and get hit with that 16,000 times a day
– people like “finders” – the guys who are discovering the cool things and sending it out
– do it to be a nice person
– using the word “I” is the key to self-promotion failure
– be thankful and respect other people
– Everything you do either good or bad is a reflection of your personal brand – we live in a society now that there is no personal vs professional – there is no more private vs public